This cook-off is sanctioned by the Alabama Barbecue Association and the Kansas City Barbeque Society.
$150 entry fee includes Chicken, Ribs and Pork and up to six team members. (Additional members may enter for $10 per member.) The entry fee also includes two T-shirts. Additional categories can be entered for $25 each including Anything "Butt" (no sweets), Sauce and Dessert.
1. Trophies will be presented for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Place in all 6 categories listed. The “Baldwin’s Best Q—People’s Choice Award” will be chosen from samples offered. Patrons will be asked to cast their vote through tip donations, and the team that earns the most “votes” wins.
2. This is a sampling event, therefore samples are required. Teams are asked to provide meat (any kind) or BBQ related dish for tastings. In addition to meat some examples are beans, mac-n-cheese, potato salad etc. Tastings will be held from 11 a.m. until 3 p.m. SBCF will provide each team with a meat voucher to help lesson the cost of meat samples. Voucher to be used only at the Foley Piggly Wiggly. Sampling supplies (napkins, forks and 2oz sample cups) will be provided by the SBCF.
3. Teams may enter any and/or all categories. Additional awards will be presented for:
Reserve Grand Champion
*Must enter ribs, butts and chicken categories to be considered for Grand Champion Awards. Alabama BBQ Association and KCBS will only be awarding BBQ Trail points in chicken and ribs.
4. Fires shall be of wood, wood pellets or charcoal. Gas and electric heat sources shall not be permitted for cooking or holding. Electric is permitted as a fire starter, provided that the competition meat is not in/on the cooking device. Electrical accessories such as spits, augers, forced draft are permitted. No open pits or holes are permitted. Fires shall not be built on the ground.
5. Contestants shall provide all needed equipment and supplies. Safety at this event is paramount. Any unsafe acts or safety issues identified by the SBCF Rep will be immediately corrected. Failure to follow the directions of the SBCF Rep may cause removal from the grounds. Contestants must adhere to all fire and safety codes. A fire extinguisher shall be near all cooking devices.
6. All contestants must be in place by 9 a.m. on Saturday, March 12. Grounds will be open for contestants Friday, March 11 beginning at 9 a.m. for set-up of equipment.
For additional details, please contact Candice Workman at 251.943.5590.
GRAND CHAMPION: Puck Daddy's Killer Q
RESERVE GRAND CHAMPION: Flaps Up BBQ
BALDWIN'S BEST “Q” – People’s Choice: Step Bros BBQ
1st – Step Bros BBQ
2nd – Lem's Meat Varnish
3rd – Flaps Up BBQ
1st – Bar-B-Krewe
2nd – Puck Daddy's Killer Q
3rd – Flaps Up BBQ
BEST BOSTON BUTTS
1st – Rammer Jammer BBQ
2nd – RibLife
3rd – Groundhog Smokers
BEST ANYTHING “BUTT”
1st – FLaps Up BBQ
2nd – BA's BBQ
3rd – The Ginger Pig
1st – Flaps Up BBQ
2nd – Deez Nuts Smokin Butts
3rd – Puck Daddy's Killer Q
Puck Daddy's Killer Q
11:00 AM - Gates Open/Samples Begin
11:00 AM - 4:00 PM - Entertainment
12:30 PM - Student/Teacher Grants
4:30 PM - Awards
The Cook Off is held in Heritage Park in Downtown Foley at the intersection of Hwy 98 and Hwy 59.
Visit or call the South Baldwin Chamber Foundation for more information.